Monday - Friday8AM - 9PM
OfficesBloomsbury Square, London WC1B 4EA
Visit our social pages

Claim for your tax refund

with The PAYE People

Tax Rebates

A tax rebate or tax refund is the money you get back from HMRC if you have paid too much tax. A tax rebate doesn’t happen automatically though; you will need to put in a claim to HMRC. There is a time limit of 4 years from the end of the tax year in which you overpaid the tax, to claim for a tax refund. A tax year runs from 6th April to 5th April the following year. If you think you are entitled to claim a refund, you need to act quickly so you don’t lose the right to make a claim.

Brilliant Service

Brilliant Service! Quick and easy, thank you for helping me claim back my tax refund.
A five out of five star image png.

Helped me claim back nearly £6200

Really helpful they even contacted people for me to get information, so I didn’t have to bother. Helped me claim back nearly £6200 over the past few years, would recommend to anyone
A four out of five image png.

Simple and quick

Form was easy to fill in online and I received a speedy response. It was even easy to get them all my information, just uploaded a few documents and they handled the rest! Super simple makes life much easier
A four out of five image png.

Will definitely use again

The tax rebate service was great, always kept me informed about what was going on. Will definitely be using them from now on, 5 stars.
A five out of five star image png.

You will benefit from

Here at the PAYE People we are dedicated to helping people get back the money they are owed and providing the best possible service. To do this we offer:

No hidden charges

It won’t cost a penny to find out if you have a claim.

Outstanding care

We are here to help every step of the way and deal with all correspondence from HMRC in respect of your claim.

No win, no fee

If it turns out you aren’t entitled to a refund, we won’t charge you a penny.

No minimum fee

No matter how small your refund, we can help.

Over 30 years’ experience

We have a combined knowledge of over 30 years in dealing with HMRC and our team of tax experts have a deep understanding of the complex tax rules that HMRC operates by. In the past 30 years we have obtained over £4,500,000 in tax refunds for our clients across PAYE, CIS, and self-employed workers.

We know tax inside out. 1 in 3 people are due tax refunds in the UK, a lot of people don’t bother to claim as they find it too complicated, don’t want to deal with HMRC and are afraid of getting it wrong and getting into trouble with HMRC. We will stand by our calculation of the amount that is due back to you from HMRC and will work tirelessly to get the money you are owed, paid to you. There is no hidden charge for this, no matter how long it takes us to negotiate with HMRC on your behalf.

What are tax rebates?

The concept of a tax rebate is pretty simple. If at the end of a tax year you have paid too much tax, you can claim some of this back – as long as you have proof of what you’re owed. Sometimes you may even receive a tax refund automatically if your PAYE salary goes down for example because HMRC always keeps track of what you earn each month.

There are many reasons why you may have paid too much tax and many people don’t even realise they can claim this back. It is important to remember that a tax refund is your hard-earned money, and if you don’t claim it back, the only person benefitting is the taxman.

Not everyone understands that they can make a claim for a tax refund, and even if they do it takes a tax expert to get the most from a refund claim as you need to be able to understand the HMRC’s refund rules and regulations. To get back the money you are owed, you have to provide the HMRC with all the evidence they need to release that you are owed money. Without this proof, they can’t get their sums right as if you have work expenses they don’t know about, for example, they can’t factor this into the calculations.

Applying for and getting a tax refund doesn’t affect any other benefit that you might be claiming, such as working tax credit or child tax credits.

The best way to start your tax rebate claim is to speak to the experts here at the PAYE People. It’s quick and simple and won’t cost you a penny.

Am I owed a tax rebate?

Many of the daily costs of doing your job can be used to bring down the amount of tax you owe and secure you a refund. There are lots of situations where you can make a claim and get money back from HMRC, some of the most common are:
Uniform – if your employer says that you must wear a uniform at work, you can reclaim the tax for the cost of purchasing and also the washing of your uniform
Travel costs – You can claim for a journey to a “temporary workplace”, in general, this means if you have to go to a temporary place of work for less than 24 months, you can claim back your travel expenses, this includes car parking and toll money. You can even claim even if your employer has paid you something towards the traveling costs if it doesn’t cover your full costs or you have used your own car and the mileage allowance paid is less than the government approved rate
Accommodation costs – you can claim if you have to travel and stay away from home for work
Food and refreshment costs – if you have to pay for your own food whilst travelling for work
Training courses – if you have to attend a training course which is essential for your job, you can claim back expenses for this
Tool and equipment costs – if you have to pay to repair or replace tools or equipment you need for work

As you can see there are lots of ways to get a tax refund from HMRC. To find out how much money you could be owed, start your claim with the PAYE People today.

What information do I need to claim a tax rebate?

To get your money back from HMRC, you need to provide them with a few bits of paperwork as evidence. These can include:
Receipts – for any work expenses such as car parking fees, tolls, petrol, food and refreshments, hotels, etc.
Monthly payslips from your employer or contractors
Temporary workplace list – a list of all the temporary workplaces or bases you have had to travel to for work along with the dates you worked there
Photo ID – a photocopy of either a driving licence or passport
Proof of address – a bank statement, gas or council tax bill will do
MOT certificates – if you have used your own vehicle to travel for work

For more information about what you need, contact the PAYE People today and we will be able to talk you through everything.

How long does a tax refund take?

HMRC can take a while to process a tax refund. You will usually get your refund within around 8-10 weeks. The PAYE People will work hard to keep the process moving as smoothly and efficiently as possible and will keep you informed of any updates about your tax rebate. The quicker you start your claim for a tax rebate, the sooner you will have your money.

How far back can I claim for a tax refund?

You can claim tax back for the last 4 years, even if you have changed careers or become self-employed in this time. Many people don’t realise you can claim tax back this far, or don’t want to because of the amount of paperwork and hassle. If you come to us though, we make the process easy and hassle-free. We can even contact your old employers for you to get the important information from them directly, even if the old company no longer exists, there are ways we can help.

It may sound like a lot of fuss trying to keep track of your mileage, food, accommodation, uniform and other costs, but the PAYE People are here to do all the hard work for you. Just provide us with a few basic details and we can get working on your refund.

How do I check if I'm owed tax back?

To see if you can claim for a tax rebate, first use our free online service. It is important to check how much tax you are paying, whether you are self-employed or working PAYE for an employer. It’s the taxpayer’s responsibility- your responsibility- to ensure that all tax relief has been correctly claimed and your tax code is correct, it’s not your employer’s responsibility to do this for you. You can easily end up overpaying on tax, and it can be hard to get back the money you’re owed once you have.

With the PAYE People however, you’ll have peace of mind your tax is being handled correctly. We’ll ensure you are claiming back for all the right expenses and that you are getting the very most you can from your refund. To find out what you could claim, you just need to answer a few simple questions. When you are ready to make your claim, we will walk you through the whole process.

Even if you need to use the self-assessment system to make your claim, we can handle this for you at no extra charge. Because you know what paperwork your refund needs, you can be sure that you’re making a full and worthwhile claim. The PAYE People can help you reclaim the money you’re owed over the last 4 years. Start your tax refund claim today to get your hard-earned money back off the taxman.

Am I owed a tax rebate?

It can very confusing and a lot of hard work to find out if you are owed a tax refund from HMRC. If you want to make a claim, you have to navigate through the rules and regulations to get your money back. Effectively, it comes down to proving what you are owed but this is where a lot of people trip up because they don’t understand what they need or what is involved.

Tax rebates aren’t only for self-employed people or CIS workers but also for pay as you earn (PAYE) workers. How much you can claim depends upon a few facts, the most important is how much you have spent on items which HMRC allow to be offset against the tax that’s been deducted from your pay. This could be for work expenses like travel costs, accommodation costs, the cost of washing or buying uniform or professional subscription fees. Even if you don’t pay for these things, you could still be owed a tax refund. Other situations where you could be owed a tax refund are:
If you are on the wrong tax code.
If you have only worked for part of the tax year.
If you are self-employed and have your payments on account set too high.

If you are making a refund claim for travel expenses, you will need to provide a list of all the places you have worked and how much you were paid to get there. If you don’t have all the information needed, things such as invoices and bank statements can usually be replaced. The more proof you have and information you can gather about your work expenses, the easier it will be to get a tax refund. The easiest way to keep an eye on work expenses is to track it as you go.

The tax laws are complicated and can be scary. Many people don’t know how to navigate them or don’t understand they can claim for a refund to miss out and pay too much. HMRC are not trying to cheat you out of money though, they just want the tax you owe and nothing more. However, they can only give you back money if they know about it. For the best chance of getting your tax refund, start your claim today with the PAYE People.

Do tax rebates happen automatically?

In some cases, you don’t need to make a claim to get your tax refund back. HMRC can take care of a tax refund themselves, and you will be given it back automatically. This is what the P800 tax calculation is for. When you receive a P800, HMRC tells you how much tax they think you should have paid in the year. If you have paid too much, they will automatically send you a refund. If you have not paid enough, they will instruct you on how you can pay the money you owe.

If you do not work for the full tax year, the PAYE system could have charged you too much tax on the money you have already earned. Also, if your employer or HMRC have given you the wrong tax code, this can cause mistakes to be made. If this happens, HMRC will only give you a refund if they know you’ve paid too much. You won’t receive your P800, so you will have to fight to get back what you’re owed. If you are in this situation, contact the PAYE People today and we can help sort this out for you.

If you have work expenses that HMRC doesn’t know about, you won’t get an automatic tax refund. If this is the case, you have to keep records of what you have spent and provide them with proof of what you’re owed. This is where the PAYE People can help, get in touch with us today to start your tax refund claim.

Reclaiming overpaid tax

Even those who understand why they are owed a tax refund can still miss out or not claim enough back. To get the best of a claim, you need a specialist in tax refunds. The PAYE People have over 30 years’ experience in dealing with the HMRC, and our team of tax experts has a deep understanding of the complex tax rules that HMRC operates by. We have the knowledge and experience to get you back every penny you are owed.

If you use a traditional accountant to manage your finances, even they can often miss out on some of your key expenses. We often speak with people who have lost hundreds of pounds a year because their accountant didn’t know they could claim for food whilst they were travelling, or for the cost of washing uniforms. The PAYE People will make sure you get back every penny you are owed.
An animated image with two people handing out cash.

How to claim tax back online

If you know you have paid too much tax, you can claim it back online. To do this you need to:
Have your P800 to hand
Go to the HMRC website
Sign in to your Government Gateway account and follow the instructions on the screen

If you have your P800 and the tax calculation says you have paid too much, it shouldn’t be too difficult to get it refunded. If you don’t have your P800 though, it’s much more complicated. Simply put, the taxman won’t know that you have overpaid, so you need to prove that you have to get your refund. If this is the case, talk to the PAYE People and we can handle this for you.

How much will I get in my tax rebate?

How much you can claim depends upon a few facts, the most important is how much you have spent on items which HMRC allow to be offset against the tax that’s been deducted from your pay. If you pay more tax, you might get more back since you are paying more to begin with. It all depends on your individual situation. You could get more, or less, depending on a few factors:
If you have paid too little because your tax code is wrong.
If you already owe money to the HMRC for things such as outstanding penalties, you could get less.
If your work expenses were already included in your tax code.
Tax refund legislation

What's the law about tax refunds?

Tax refunds are 100% legal. Claiming for your tax refund isn’t a trick and it isn’t about trying to cheat the system. Tax refunds are part of the system, and it is YOUR money you are claiming back. The PAYE People can handle your tax refund for you, taking away all the stress and hassle. Our experts understand the tax rules and regulations and always ensure you are fully compliant with these. Some people worry that claiming for a tax rebate could affect their benefits, but this is not true. Applying for and getting a tax refund doesn’t affect any other benefit that you might be claiming, such as working tax credit, child tax credits

Finding out if you have a claim is quick, simple, and won’t cost you a penny. What are you waiting for? Start your tax refund claim with the PAYE People today.
An animated image of a judges hammer.

Can I claim back tax for washing or cleaning any specialised clothes I need for work?

If your employer says that you must wear a uniform at work, you can reclaim the tax for the cost of purchasing and also the washing of your uniform. This includes things like specialised clothing or items that have the company logo on them. If you wear your everyday clothing for work, you can’t claim for this though.

When claiming for a uniform tax rebate, you have two options. Firstly, you can keep the receipts when you have to pay to clean or repair/replace work clothing. If this isn’t plausible, or you don’t want to go the hassle of doing this, you can use HMRC’s simplified Fixed Rate Expenses system. This is basically where the taxman has taken an educated guess at the costs of keeping your work clothes clean and wearable. This allows you to use HMRC’s already calculated figures, instead of keeping receipts and working out costs at the end of the year.

Can I claim the cost of meals for my tax refund?

If you have to travel for work, you can claim for the money you spend on food and refreshments whilst on the road or staying away from home. It’s definitely worth keeping receipts and a record of this because on average a food tax rebate could be worth £250-£500 a year.

Food only qualifies for a tax refund if you have been travelling to temporary workplaces to work. You can’t claim for food you get whilst working in your own office. If your food expenses do qualify, it only takes a few basic records to make it pay off. It’s more than just the money you spend on your lunches as well. You should make sure you keep track of every daily cost you spend on food on refreshments. This could be everything from your first cup of coffee in the morning, to a quick snack you pick up in your afternoon break, and even the cost of your dinner after work if you’re staying away from home.

The records you keep could be receipts, bank statements, or even a picture or copy of a menu. Any information you can provide is helpful, as you need to back up your claims with evidence.

I have to buy my own tools for work. Can I claim a tax refund?

Many people don’t think to claim for the tools they have to purchase for their job and miss out on this money in their tax refund. You can’t claim any money back for the initial purchase of your essential tools. However, any repair or replacement costs after this initial purchase can be claimed back. Examples of essential tools are:
Hand tools for electricians, carpenters, mechanics, etc.
Scissors or clippers for hairdressers.
Knives and other kitchen apparatus for chefs and kitchen workers.
Paintbrushes, rollers, and other equipment for painters and decorators.

You can only claim for these expenses if you have to pay for them yourself. If your employer pays for them or fully reimburses you afterward, you can’t claim this as part of your tax refund from HMRC. This changes if you’re self-employed as a lot of the essential costs of doing your job count against the tax you owe on your profits. The PAYE People can help you sort this through the self-assessment tax return system.

An animated image with a screwdriver and wrench.

I don’t have all my receipts. Is there an easier way to claim my tax refund?

Some people don’t want to or don’t remember to, keep hold of all their receipts and proof of spending. If this is the case, you can get a tax refund on work expenses another way. HMRC has a set of ‘flat rate deductions’ for a variety of different occupations. These allow you to claim a fixed amount for your expenses, instead of keeping detailed records and claiming a specific amount each year.

HMRC hasn’t got a flat-rate deduction for every single occupation. However, even if there is no flat-rate deduction for what you do, you could still get a standard £60 deduction if you don’t have receipts. Contact the PAYE People today, and we will be able to advise you on the best option for you.

We look after your tax rebate and you

Our team of tax refund specialists can deal with every aspect of your claim and do all the hard work for you. We provide you with your own dedicated expert who will prepare your claim for you and correspond with HMRC on your behalf. You can contact your account manager at any time throughout the tax year for an update on the progress of your claim, and they will inform you when your claim has been successful. They will even contact you to remind you about important deadlines.

In the past 30 years we have obtained over £4,500,000 in tax refunds for our clients across PAYE, CIS and self-employed workers. We will stand by our calculation of the amount that is due back to you from HMRC, and we work tirelessly to get you the money you’re owed. There are no hidden charges, no matter how long it takes us to negotiate with HMRC on your behalf.

Why can't I get a HMRC tax refund?

Not everyone qualifies for a tax refund. This just means that you’re not paying too much tax, which is a good thing. Some people can’t claim for a refund because they do not meet the criteria to qualify. For example, people who only work in one work location for one single employer can’t claim for travel tax refunds as this only applies to those working from a temporary workplace.

Self-employed people should have all their expenses handled through their self-assessment tax returns file. If you aren’t sure whether you qualify, or you’re not sure about what exactly you can claim for, contact The PAYE People. We will be able to determine whether you can claim or not.

What if I don't have complete pay and tax records for my claim?

To make a tax refund claim you don’t need a huge amount of paperwork, but there are a few vital pieces you can’t claim without. Information about how much you’ve earnt and the tax you have paid are crucial, so your payslips are the best place to start.

Your payslips are incredibly useful because they provide a lot of information. Things such as sick pay, maternity leave, overtime and other details are outlined on them. You should also be able to see if your employer has reimbursed you for any work expenses, which can affect your refund.

How do I provide my pay and tax information to the PAYE People?

Fill in our form and follow the instructions to upload your proof of ID. Once you click submit, this information will be sent directly to us. We will then be in touch if we need any more information from you.

Can I get the information I need online?

If you have a Personal Tax Account on the HMRC website, you can get a lot of the essential information you need from there. Simply log in to your account, download the information you need and send this to us.

I can’t get the information I need for my refund; can I still claim?

If you can’t get a hold of a lot of the information you need, the PAYE People can help. We can contact HMRC and request the critical details from them. They will then send the information to you and you can forward it on to us. With some information, we can even get it directly from HMRC ourselves over the phone, as long as you are on the line with us, for security reasons. If you don’t have the information you need, don’t worry, contact the PAYE People today to see how we can help.

Tracking your tax rebate claim with PAYE People

The PAYE People have made it easy to keep an eye on the progress of your tax refund claim. We have created a simple to use Track My Claim tool which provides you with all the information you need, in one place, at the touch of a button.

To get your tax refund claim started, all you need is to answer a few simple questions and the Track My Claim process will guide you through the rest. Once your claim has been set in motion you can keep an eye on it in the Track My Claim section. It’ll notify you of any progress in your claim, and if we need anything from you to help speed up the process it’ll let you know what you need to do.
The PAYE People help PAYE workers all over the UK claim money they’re owed in tax rebates.
Social links
Follow us on social media

“The PAYE People” is a trading name of Filotimo Ltd.

Filotimo Ltd company number 217248 registered at 1st Floor, Dekk House, Zippora Street, Providence Industrial estate Mahe, Seychelles